Anthony Hill (1784 – 1862) was the head of the Plymouth ironworks which, in the 1830’s, had the largest blast furnace in the world. A local magistrate, he played a leading role on the side of law and order during the Merthyr riots in 1831 and, as a monoglot English speaker, he must certainly have felt uncomfortable in the midst of the local population, the vast majority of whom spoke Welsh as their mother tongue. He once observed, with some regret, that:
the Welsh people will not be driven and they are strongly attached to their language. The efforts being made to promote the greater spread of the native Welsh language are a great bar to the improvement of the people.
In 1852 he built a parish church in Troedyrhiw, stipulating that only he should ever be buried there. Following his death ten years later, no fewer than three coffins were placed in the specially prepared vault under the alter. The inner, elm coffin, lined with Welsh flannel, contained his body; this was placed in a lead casket which, in turn, was enclosed in an outer oak coffin.
From Discovering Welsh Graves by Alun Roberts, UWP 2002