1852 was a busy year for the construction of places of worship in Troedyrhiw. Saron Welsh Independent Chapel was being rebuilt on the same site as an earlier building in Chapel Street while Carmel Welsh Baptist Chapel was being erected in Wyndham Street and, on the other side of the valley, work on St. John’s Church was being completed.
The images are from a small booklet produced for the centenary celebrations in 1952 for St. John’s Church.
Can you help us with information about those from Troed-y-rhiw who lost their lives in the First World War, served and survived or were affected in other ways?
2014 marked the centenary of the opening of the Archer Street building. One of the ways in which the school celebrated this was by producing a heritage display. Friends of Saron were pleased to provide historic images and information to support this venture.
Primary School Centenary Display
We were delighted to learn that the the school has won a prestigious Welsh Heritage Award for Schools for this display. This is a just reward for all of the effort put in by the young people and staff.
This initiative aims to encourage young people in Wales to ‘find out more about the wealth and diversity of their heritage and share their knowledge and understanding with their own communities and the wider world’. Well done to Troedyrhiw Community Primary School for doing just that!