Tag Archives: graveyard
SARON GRAVEYARD, TROEDYRHIW
SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER, FROM 10.00AM
Why not pop in to lend a hand for an hour or two or just to see what is being done? You will be made most welcome.
If you are interested in the local history of TROEDYRHIW and the quality of the environment in the village then please think about attending the next meeting of FRIENDS OF SARON. This will be held in the ANGEL INN in Bridge Street at 6.30pm on Friday 16 November.
It would be good to see you there.
Amongst the topics on the agenda are:-
- Securing a lasting legacy for the SARON GRAVEYARD POJECT following leaseholder funded repairs to the graveyard boundary and the completion of the volunteer led improvement programme.
- Unlocking modest levels of funding for certain aspects of the improvement programme as it works towards the creation of SARON MEMORIAL & WILDLIFE GARDEN as a community asset.
The abandoned, crumbling and decaying graveyard of the former Saron Chapel in Troedyrhiw had almost reached the point of no return when, in 2009, a group of residents and former residents decided that something should be done. Since then our volunteers have been working hard, with the help of other community groups, to restore this marker of our local history to a condition that we can all be proud of. We are very pleased to report that the leaseholder has been prevailed upon to carry out urgently necessary structural work to the boundary walls which we expect to begin next Spring. In the meantime our volunteers will continue the programme of improvement work within the graveyard. Our most recent session was held last Saturday. This is extremely rewarding work not all of which is as strenuous as some of our photos show. . If you think that you would like to get involved please contact us, without making any commitment, on firstname.lastname@example.org
SARON GRAVEYARD PROJECT, TROEDYRHIW
At long last, after 9 years of effort and numerous disappointments, it seems that urgently necessary and expensive work on the boundary walls of the Saron site is finally going to take place. Realistically this can be expected to begin next Spring.
We are now appealing for input from everyone that cares about the conservation of the historic environment of our village. We would be extremely pleased to see you at one or both of the following events:-
- THURSDAY 30TH AUGUST, 6.30pm, ANGEL INN – MEETING to discuss, amongst other things, the next steps for this project following the excellent news described above.
- SATURDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER, 10.00am onwards, SARON GRAVEYARD – VOLUNTEER DAY to continue the programme of site improvement work. Why not pop in to see what we have been doing and have a chat about our plans?
Our intrepid band of volunteers braved the searing heat last Saturday to continue the improvement work in Saron Graveyard, Troedyrhiw. This included:-
- Lopping branches off a tree that has grown far to large for this space.
- Watering the small ornamental tree and shrubs which were planted last month.
- Tidying up, watering and mulching the stumpery with ferns etc that were planted last month.
- Completing the setting up of a small ‘pond in an old kitchen sink’.
- Expanding the ‘bug hotel’ which had been set up by Willows Youth as luxury accomodation for a range of small creatures.
Many thanks for your input and support to Steve C., Simon, Sheila, Andrew, Steve E., Chris, Frances, David, Phil and John.