Tag Archives: Taff Vale

A Volunteer Day with an interesting discovery, 21 June 2014

Despite the hot working conditions our faithful volunteers turned out, once again, for what became a rewarding and interesting day.  The work plan called for collecting and bagging waste material from across the Saron site and continuing improvements in the area within the gates which has been identified for priority treatment. This was more than achieved during an 8 hour working day which produced over 50 bags of rubbish to be collected by the Council and left a section of graves and their surroundings in a much better condition than they were found in. Grateful thanks for their support must go on this occasion to – Steve C., Simon, Steve E., Sheila, Thomas, Amy, Donna, Liam, Phil, Angela, Bonnie, Nicola and David – Well done!

 

Some FoS volunteers get ready to work.

Some FoS volunteers get ready to work.

It's looking better already!

It’s looking better already!

Collecting up the waste.

Collecting up the waste.

Bags, bags, bags and more bags!

Bags, bags, bags and more bags!

At one point during the day a damaged headstone which had fallen or been pushed over into a face down position was turned over to reveal the following inscription:-

In Memory of

David,

SON OF WILLIAM & MARY JONES

[CHEMIST] OF THIS PLACE

WHO DIED JAN 22ND 1876

AGED 3 MONTHS.

ALSO OF THE ABOVE NAMED

Mary Jones,

WHO DIED 18TH JUNE 1879

AGED 28 YEARS.

ALSO THE AFORESAID

William Jones,

WHO DIED APRIL 19TH 1883

AGED 40 YEARS.

Turned headstone being cleaned after piecing together all parts which could be found.

Turned headstone being cleaned after piecing together all parts which could be found.

The inscription.

The inscription.

Troedyrhiw people of a certain age will remember the well respected Jones family who ran a general store and newspaper business from ‘Canton House’ in Bridge Street. The William Jones interred at this spot is one of the sons of Daniel Jones the founder of the business who erected the first building in what was to become Bridge Street in 1853. The Jones’ business was variously described as ‘Chemists and Druggists’, ‘Booksellers, Stationers and Newsagents’, ‘Furniture Brokers’, ‘Ironmongers’, ‘Curriers and Leather Saddlers’ and  ‘Boots Upper Manufacturer’. William also found time to open a print shop, whose activities included publishing a newspaper entitled The Taff Vale Gazette and a variety of music and ballad sheets, mostly in Welsh. He was clearly a very busy man!

 

 

Advertisements